Saturday, August 9, 2014

And so it begins...



And so my journey into to the world of blogging, Pinterest, Instagram and Etsy begins.  Big gulp.  I'm considering slamming my laptop closed and running for a bottle of wine instead, but I'm going to put my big girl panties on and be brave.....

My name is Nina and I'm starting a little side business of painting and refinishing old forgotten vintage and antique furniture.   I absolutely love haunting flea markets and estate sales for pieces of furniture that are screaming to be "saved".  I just cant help myself when one "speaks" to me.   I love to bring them home then spend more hours than is actually sane, staring at them and deciding what they need to be fabulous once again.  My taste runs in all different directions, from rustic and primitive to Victorian and elegant, it all depends what the furniture wants.  Hey, it's out of my control, honestly, the furniture is "speaking" to me remember?  I have to give it what demands, if it wants to be distressed, who am I to say no?  If it wants stripped and restored to its original glory, well that's what it gets.  Where is the problem right?

My husband, that's the problem, it always is isn't it?  LOL.  My house is already furnished and there isn't room for another piece of furniture anywhere. My little collection of "saved" furniture is taking up his garage space and he is serving an eviction notice.....what to do.   Sell it!  So here we are....

I'm starting my journey into the sales world.  I'm completely freaked out and nervous to tell the you the truth.  Don't get me wrong, I love nothing more than finding a piece, obsessing over what to do with it, torturing myself over whether my idea sucks or not, then immersing myself into a fabulous world of paint and stain until I feel I have successfully brought out the perfect imperfection of the piece.  The only problem is that I'm terrified to put myself out there.  It makes me feel so vulnerable....exposed.  What if no one likes it?  What if this idea is insane?  How do I even get anyone to find my listings on Etsy?  I'm not even sure what the heck Instagram is at this point.  How do I ship this stuff? Do I ship it or just sell locally?  There is no way to know until I jump in with both feet....so I'm jumping.

I've decided to bring you on my journey and share with you as I learn.  I am constantly trying new techniques and new products.  I will be posting step by step pictures as I go, along with my opinions on products as I try them.  I'll let you know what techniques seem to work and what ends up being a dud.    I can tell you right now that I LOVE Annie Sloan chalk paint!  It's an addiction, you can paint it on EVERYTHING!  Lastly, I promise not to share while drinking wine, well, promise IS a strong word, so I will say instead that I will TRY not to share while drinking wine.  


Stay tuned.....
 
https://Etsy.com/shop/AddictionDecor
http://Pinterest.com/AddictionDecor

No comments:

Post a Comment